Dibba Al-Hisn is a pene-exclave of the emirate of Al-Sharjah, one of the seven United Arab Emirates. It is bordered by the Gulf of Oman from the East, Dibba Al-Baya (a province of Oman in Musandam) from the North, and Dibba Al-Fujairah from the South.
It is also geographically part of the Dibba region. It is the smallest in size among the Dibbas. It is mostly known for its fish market and the ancient fortress from which it got its name. Also, it is known for its high density of population relative to the other Dibbas.
Archaeological evidences indicate its ties with the ancient Mesopotamia and the Umm Al Nar civilisations. Alakaab island, dating back to the Neolithic period was used for slaughtering dugongs. The modern history of Umm Al Quwain began around 200 years ago when the Al Ali tribe moved from Seniah island to its present location due to scarce water resources. In 1775, Sheikh Majed Al Mualla, founder of the ruling Al Mualla lineage of the Al Ali tribe, established an independent Sheikhdom in Umm Al Quwain.
Dibba was sometimes the capital of Oman. According to Ibn Habib, “merchants from Sindh, India, China, people of the East and West came to it.