Juffair is a district situated in Manama, Bahrain. It was originally a separate village
Juffair is a district situated in Manama, Bahrain. It was originally a separate village inhabited by Shia Muslims but it has been absorbed by the suburban expansion of Manama in the 20th century, and presently includes large parts of land reclaimed from the sea.It is home to many hotels, restaurants, flats, and villas.
In 1908, John Gordon Lorimer’s Gazetteer of the Persian Gulf described Juffair as a village located on the northern tip of the cape of Juffair. It boasted 80 reed huts occupied by Baharna, cultivators and fishermen. The village was home to 15 pearling vessels at the time. A large clump of 900 date palms existed to the southwestern portion of the village alongside lucerne fields. A census of livestock showed 2 horses, 7 donkeys, and 4 cattle at the time.
A British naval installation known as HMS Jufair was established near the old Juffair village on April 13, 1935, in the area where ASU-SWA is located today. In 1950, the United States Navy leased office space aboard HMS JUFFAIR from the British. In 1971, after their treaty expired, the British left Bahrain, granting the island total independence. The United States, through agreement with the Bahraini government, took over part of HMS JUFFAIR, renaming it Administrative Support Unit Bahrain, subsequently Naval Support Activity Bahrain. Many Westerners live in Juffair.